Thursday, July 18, 2013

Book Review #6 Unravel Me


Straight From The Reader Mouth. 
One Read  At a Time.
Book Review #6
Unravel Me by Tahareh Mafi


tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

it's almost

time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.
-Goodreads.com



* The Break Down:

I just want to start by saying, Tahareh Mafi strikes again! And they say lightening doesn't strike twice. Boy oh boy were they wrong about that.

Mafi has yet again managed to mesmerize her audience with how she carves words into sentences and makes everything so poetic, lyrical, and frantically unhinged. 

Unravel Me
 was the type of sequel that every reader dreams of in a series. Mafi gives everything and anything a reader could ever hope for. Unravel Me will take you in from the first words of the chapter and won't let you go until the very last page of the book. So much changes over the course of this book; things you thought were unchangeable turn out to be quite changeable indeed. This is especially true with here characters.

Mafi stays true to her writing; this is especially true with the development of her characters. In Shatter Me, EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER had layers. In Unravel Me the layers are slowly pealed back and you’re left with the unexpected and unthought-of.

In all honesty, I’m not sure what I was expecting from Juliette in Unravel Me. Juliette grows up so much throughout the course of this book and I really came to admire her character.  With very good reason, she was never one of the strongest characters out there, but in this book she really learns to stand on her own

 “All I know is that it’ll never be safe for me to rely on someone else again, to need constant reassurance of who I am and who I might someday be. I can love him, but I can’t depend on him to be my backbone. I can’t be my own person if I constantly require someone else to hold me together.” 

I am really looking forward to what she brings to the table in the final installment.

Now let’s talk about the men of the Shatter Me series. *Pause to swoon.

In Shatter Me, I unquestionably fell in love with Adam, and Warner intrigued me, oh, so much. But, after reading Unravel Me, I’m finding it hard to keep my heart out of Warner’s grip. He is such a surprise in this book. Mafi made such a very interesting character in Warner. He completely floored me. He was open and raw and intense and tender. It's no secret that Warner and I weren't on the best terms in Shatter Me but something changed, the reader insighted the truth. Warner has never pretends to be anybody else but himself with Juliette. He doesn't lie to protect her or shield her from the truth; he always is honest because he believes in her strength. 

“I want so many things, I want your mind, Your strength. I want to be worth your time. I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine and I want to know it’s racing because of me, because you want me. Because you never, ever want me to stop. I want every second.  Every inch of you. I want all of it.”

And I know that I’m not the only one who turned into a puddle of mush after chapter 62.

I find it incredible that Tahareh has created these two guys so opposite, yet with so much in common, that she made it impossible to find a definite side for me to be on. There are many reason that I think Warner and Juliette will end up together, but then again there are also many other reasons that Adam and Juliette could end up together in the end. 

Now if were going to talk character, were going to have to talk about…

"Kenji is a walking paradox of Unflinchingly Serious Person and 12 Year-Old Boy going Through Puberty all rolled into one."

He has such an arrogant yet wonderfully witty personality. Kenji brings smart-assery to a whole new level. The things that came out of his mouth never ceased to amaze me. Kenji definitely has a way with words to say the least. 

“The man is moody as hell.”

“I am not moody—”

“Yeah, bro.” Kenji puts his utensils down. “You are moody. It’s always ‘Shut up, Kenji.’ ‘Go to sleep, Kenji.’ ‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—” 

Kenji literally stole every scene he was in, he an unexpected joy in this novel. 

To be honest, in Shatter Me I thought Kenji had a psychological issue. But in Unravel Me, he proves to be such a great supporting character and I’d definitely one of my all time favorites. He was so hilarious, but he also does what he has to do for the greater good.

Over all, I found the storyline to be realistic and enthralling. In all honesty, I ENJOYED Unravel Me probably MORE than Shatter Me, and that says something since Shatter Me was one of my favorite reads of 2011. If you thought Shatter Me was breathtaking, like I did. Then you better stand up, because Unravel Me is about to knock you off whatever seat you’re sitting on.



Who will she choose?




The one who believes in her strength ? 
Or the one who believes in her heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment